There are two ways to join us:
1. Sustaining membership: Help support FairMormon, and receive bookstore and conference discounts and the FairMormon Journal newsletter. Click to join now!
2. FairMormon apologetics list: An active list meant to support those actively engaged in defending the church, and for those who provide content for the FairMormon website and answer questions from members and investigators. (Application below.)
If you know someone who is going through a faith crisis or struggling with doubt, you know how important our mission is. FairMormon is an organization of volunteers dedicated to providing faithful and scholarly answers to difficult questions, often presented by critics of the church. This is an important and yet daunting task.
One of the challenges we face is that critics, while small in number, are getting their message out more effectively than we are. Consequently, the negative perspective reaches more of our friends and family than the thoughtful answers we work so hard at providing. This means we must look for ways to improve our reach and counter such criticism. Unfortunately, this takes financial resources that we currently do not have.
Your financial support could serve to provide a solution to this challenge. This is why we are asking you to join our efforts by becoming a Sustaining Member of FairMormon. This requires a minimum annual contribution of $25. In return, you are entitled to:
- 20% discount at the FairMormon bookstore
- 20% discount for the FairMormon Conference tickets or streaming audio from the conference
- The FairMormon Journal newsletter, which addresses hot issues being discussed online
All you need to become a Sustaining Member is go to conference.fairmormon.org/product/sustaining-membership and complete the application process. As we increase our membership, you’ll become an important part of the FairMormon team by helping us expand our base of influence, and spread the light of our message. It all begins with your help.
FairMormon Apologetics List Application
Thank you for your interest in joining the FairMormon Apologetics list. Membership in the FairMormon Apologetics list is not automatically granted. Each membership application is reviewed for appropriateness. The purpose of this list is:
1. To provide help and support to those who are actively defending the Church. For instance, someone dealing with relatives or ward members affected by anti-Mormon literature; ward missionaries who deal with investigators who pose questions that have their roots in anti-Mormon claims; those who manage pro-Church Web sites; or those who, in their callings, come in contact with anti-Mormon arguments.
2. To provide help and support for scholars engaged in areas of Mormon Studies, when those areas overlap with the mission and purpose of FairMormon.
3. To provide help and support to those creating content for the FairMormon Web site, and to help those church members and investigators who are struggling. For instance, those writing and/or editing articles, papers, or books for FairMormon.
The FairMormon Apologetics list is not a place to learn how to be an apologist, learn “how apologists do things,” or engage in “armchair apologetics.” (There are various message boards around the Internet that are more appropriate for learning those kinds of things.)
It is generally not a place to engage in doctrinal speculation, unless the speculation is directly related to the items above, and you are willing to both give and take. The FairMormon Apologetics list is definitely not a place to lobby for your pet doctrinal theory or try to dig in your heels and refuse to listen to others at all costs.
Quite frankly, this list is not for everybody. Individual interests, temperaments, and needs vary. While Church membership is not a requirement to join the FairMormon Apologetics list (we have several members who are not LDS), the list is only for LDS, RLDS, or pro-LDS.
Members of the list openly discuss anti-Mormon literature and assertions, along with methods of dealing with them. We also discuss ways in which we can make FairMormon and the materials it provides even better.
The FairMormon Apologetics list is a very busy e-mail list, sometimes with more than 100 messages daily. The give-and-take is fast and generally of high quality.
If you feel you can constructively contribute in the environment described, we want you to join. Please fill out the form below to submit your application. We hold the information you provide in complete confidentiality, and will not make it available to anyone outside of FairMormon.