FairMormon is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing well-documented answers to criticisms of LDS doctrine, belief and practice.
Responses to claims made in American Massacre by Sally Denton.
Pages in category "American Massacre"
The following 51 pages are in this category, out of 51 total.
- Question: After the end of the rebellion in South Carolina, did the Church not mention the Civil War prophecy for many years?
- Question: Did apostle George A. Smith carry orders for the Mountain Meadows Massacre?
- Question: Did Brigham Young hide knowledge of the massacre from Captain Stewart Van Vliet?
- Question: Did Brigham Young issue orders that no food or grain should be sold to "Gentiles" that were passing through Utah?
- Question: Did Brigham Young order that the Mount Meadows monument be destroyed?
- Question: Did early Mormon leaders teach that apostasy was the unforgivable sin, and that the only thing an apostate could do to redeem himself was to give his own life, willingly or unwillingly?
- Question: Did early Mormon missionaries to England take advantage of "intolerable social and economic conditions" in order to gain converts?
- Question: Did Fanny Alger have a child by Joseph Smith?
- Question: Did federal officials flee Utah because they feared for their lives?
- Question: Did Joseph Smith and Sidney Rigdon support the formation of a vigilante band called the Danites?
- Question: Did Joseph Smith marry Fanny Alger as his first plural wife in 1833?
- Question: Did Joseph Smith or his associates attempt to reconcile with William Law before he published the ''Nauvoo Expositor''?
- Question: Did Joseph Smith personally profit from the Kirtland Safety Society?
- Question: Did Joseph Smith say that he would be a "second Muhammad," threatening to spread his beliefs with the sword?
- Question: Did Joseph Smith say that viewing the gold plates would result in death?
- Question: Did the Church cover up the fact that the Civil War prophecy was made during the 1832 rebellion in South Carolina?
- Question: Did the Danite band persist even after they were exposed?
- Question: Did the story of Moroni's visit to Joseph Smith evolve from that of a magical spiritual treasure guardian to an "angel"?
- Question: Do Latter-day Saints believe in a practice called "celestial sex," and that this is the manner in which "spirit children" are formed?
- Question: Do Mormon men believe that they will become "gods of their own planets" and rule over others?
- Question: Do Mormons believe that Joseph Smith must approve whether or not they get into heaven?
- Question: Does the Book of Mormon describe the Lamanites as being "cursed" with a "red skin"?
- Question: How was the decision reached to destroy the ''Nauvoo Expositor''?
- Question: How were the activities of the Danite band exposed?
- Question: Is it true that Mormons believe the original Garden of Eden was located in Missouri?
- Question: Is it true that the Danites were pledged to “plunder, lie, and even kill if deemed necessary?"
- Question: Was a "vagabond fortune-teller" named Walters Joseph Smith's "mentor"?
- Question: Was Joseph Smith anointed to be "King over the earth" by the Council of Fifty?
- Question: Was Joseph Smith's participation in "money digging" as a youth a blot on his character?
- Question: Was the destruction of the ''Nauvoo Expositor'' legal?
- Question: Was the fact that the recovery of the Book of Mormon plates occurred on the autumnal equinox somehow significant?
- Question: Was the United Order simply a form of communism?
- Question: Was the young Joseph Smith a teller of "tall tales"?
- Question: Was there an oath in a former version of the Mormon temple endowment that required vengeance upon the government of the United States?
- Question: Were 19th century Utah Mormons complicit in the deaths of Judge Leonidas Shaver, John Gunnison, and Almon Babbitt?
- Question: Were William Parrish and his son murdered as they attempted to leave Utah because leaving Utah was "forbidden"?
- Question: What caused William Law to apostatize from the Church and turn against Joseph Smith?
- Question: What indications were there that Brigham Young would be Joseph Smith's successor?
- Question: What is "blood atonement"?
- Question: What is Adam-ondi-Ahman?
- Question: What is Joseph Smith's 1832 prophecy of the Civil War?
- Question: What is the history of name changes of the Church?
- Question: What is the origin of the idea that Joseph Smith will participate in the final judgement?
- Question: What was the Council of Fifty?
- Question: When was Lucy Mack Smith baptized?
- Question: When was the Danite band formed and why?
- Question: Why did Brigham Young say that women "have no right to meddle in the affairs of the Kingdom of God"?
- Question: Why did the Nauvoo City Council feel it was necessary to destroy the ''Nauvoo Expositor''?
- Question: Why were properties in the name of Joseph Smith?