FairMormon is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing well-documented answers to criticisms of LDS doctrine, belief and practice.
Firesides/28 November 2010 - Sweden
A FairMormon Response to Questions Asked at 2010 Swedish Fireside (a.k.a. the "Swedish Rescue")
1: BoM translation—2: Polygamy and Polyandry—3: Polygamy forced?—4: Book of Abraham—5: "Lying for Lord"—6: Mark Hofmann—7: Blood atonement—8: First Vision—9: Sanitized history—10: "Not all truth is useful"—11: Angelic affidavits—12: Blacks and priesthood—13: Temple concerns—14: Evidence of Vikings—15: Adam-God—16: Kinderhook
On November 28, 2010, a fireside was held in the Västerhaninge Chapel, Stockholm, Sweden with Marlin Jensen and Richard Turley. This fireside has been referred to by some online as the "Swedish Rescue." The fireside was held for the purpose of responding to questions that had been brought up by members in Sweden. A surreptitious audio recording was made and the recording as well as a transcript of the fireside have been circulating on the web and have appeared on a number of websites that are critical of the Church. The questions posed represent a number of common issues and concerns that FairMormon has responded to over the years. FairMormon would normally not circulate notes from a surreptitiously recorded meeting with a general authority, but since these comments are being circulated by critics of the Church, there is a need to respond.
FairMormon has therefore reviewed the audio recording, made corrections to the transcript, organized the questions and answers in a summary format, and has provided material that supplements the answers provided at the fireside by Elder Jensen and Brother Turley. A corrected transcript of the fireside may be viewed here.
Please click links below for specific questions and answers:
Jump to Subtopic:
- Question: Why were the plates needed?
- Question: Why the Urim and Thummin and why the hat?
- Question: Did Joseph translate the plates using both the Nephite interpreters (the "Urim and Thummim") and a seer stone?
- Question: Did Joseph translate the plates using a seer stone placed in a hat?
- Question: Were both the Nephite interpreters and the seer stone referred to as the Urim and Thummim?
- Question: Did Joseph locate his seer stone while digging a well?
- 2—Polygamy and polyandry (Link)
- 3—Polgyamy forced? (Link)
- 4—Book of Abraham (Link)
- 5—"Lying for the Lord" (Link)
- 6—Mark Hofmann and forged documents (Link)
- 7—Blood atonement (Link)
- 8—First Vision (Link)
- 9—Sanitized church history (Link)
- 10—"Not all truth is useful" (Link)
- 11—Angelic affidavits (Link)
- 12—Blacks and the priesthood (Link)
- 13—Temple concerns (Link)
- 14—Evidence of Vikings (Link)
- 15—Adam-God (Link)
- 16—Kinderhook plates (Link)