FairMormon is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing well-documented answers to criticisms of LDS doctrine, belief and practice.
Journal of Discourses/15
|←Volume 14|| Journal of Discourses
Journal of Discourses Volume 15
BY PRESIDENT BRIGHAM YOUNG,
HIS TWO COUNSELLORS, AND THE TWELVE APOSTLES.
REPORTED BY D. W. EVANS, J. Q. CANNON AND MISS JULIA YOUNG,
AND RESPECTFULLY DEDICATED TO THE LATTER-DAY SAINTS IN ALL THE WORLD.
PRINTED AND PUBLISHED BY ALBERT CARRINGTON, 42, ISLINGTON.
LATTER-DAY SAINTS' BOOK DEPOT, 20, BISHOP'S GROVE, ISLINGTON.
WE take great pleasure in presenting to the Saints and the world the Fifteenth Volume of the JOURNAL of DISCOURSES, which they will find contains rich treasures of information concerning the glorious principles of Eternal Life, as revealed through God's anointed servants in these last days.
All who read the discourses contained in this Volume are earnestly recommended to adapt them to their lives by practice, and we can confidently assure them that, in doing so, they are laying up a store of knowledge that will save and exalt them in the Celestial kingdom.
- The Lord’s Supper—Progression—Co-operation—Independence by Brigham Young (1-7)
- His Testimony—The Fulfilling of Prophecy—Advice to Mothers by Wilford Woodruff (7-12)
- Persecutions—Missionaries—Emigration by George A. Smith (13-16)
- His Imprisonment—Emigrating the Poor—The Use of Riches—Tithing by Brigham Young (16-21)
- Revelation—Former and Latter-day Dispensations—The Sure Triumph of the Cause of Zion by John Taylor (21-27)
- Patriarchal Marriage—The Settlement of Utah by George A. Smith (27-34)
- Riches—Hurry—Fashion—Helping the Poor—Mysteries by Brigham Young (34-43)
- The Latter-day Kingdom—The Present Fulfillment of Ancient Prophecy by Orson Pratt (44-53)
- Second Coming of Christ—Preparatory Work Thereto by Orson Pratt (53-61)
- Continued Teaching Necessary—Ignorance of Professors of Modern Christianity—Prayer, etc. by Brigham Young (62-66)
- The Setting up of God’s Kingdom in These Latter Days by Orson Pratt (67-76)
- Comprehensiveness of the Latter-day Work by Wilford Woodruff (77-81)
- Observe the Sabbath Day by Brigham Young (81-84)
- The Gospel Plan—It Must be Obeyed if its Blessings be Secured—God’s Kingdom has Come by Daniel H. Wells (84-92)
- Sacrament—Self-examination—Recollections of Early Life—Reflections on Scenes of Childhood, After an Absence of Forty Years by George A. Smith (92-99)
- Revelation from Heaven and its Continuance Necessary by Orson Pratt (99-110)
- Those Who Hear the Gospel Must Obey it, or They Cannot be Saved by It by George Q. Cannon (111-120)
- The Fullness of the Gospel—Its Power to Unite—Its Comprehensiveness—Definition of its Priesthood—Condition of Apostates by Brigham Young (121-129)
- Fault Finding—Advice—Wholesale Co-operative Store for Logan—Dress—Marital Relation—Establishing Zion by Brigham Young (129-135)
- Increase of Saints Since Joseph Smith’s Death—Joseph Smith’s Sons—Resurrection and Millenial Work by Brigham Young (135-139)
- God’s Ways are not Man’s Ways by Brigham Young, Jr. (139-145)
- Tithing by George Q. Cannon (145-157)
- Saints Should Sustain Themselves—Keep the Commandments—Abuses—Power of Righteous Combination of Labor by Brigham Young (158-167)
- Things of God Revealed Only by the Spirit of God—Development of the Work of God, etc. by John Taylor (167-178)
- Review of God’s Dealings with the Prophet Joseph—Coming Forth of the Book of Mormon—Gathering, etc. by Orson Pratt (178-191)
- Testimony—Search the Scriptures—Word of Wisdom by Brigham Young, Jr. (191-197)
- Zion—The Duty of its Citizens—Testimony by Erastus Snow (197-201)
- Gathering—Its Spirit—Its Object—Duties of the Gathered Saints by George Q. Cannon (202-210)
- Choice of Rulers—Headship—One Man Power—The Yoke of Jesus by John Taylor (211-219)
- The Order of Enoch by Brigham Young (220-229)
- Spirit of Light and Truth—Its Value—Its Opposite Necessary—Final Triumph of Light and Truth by Orson Pratt (229-241)
- Pre-existence of Our Spirits by Orson Pratt (241-253)
- True Christmas and New Year by Orson Pratt (253-265)
- God the Source of All Good—The Common Love of Man for Increase—The Necessity of Righteously Directing Our Powers by John Taylor (266-274)
- The Signs of the Coming of the Son of Man—The Saints’ Duties by Wilford Woodruff (275-284)
- The Spirit and Principles of the Gospel the Same as of Old—Early Experience of Settlers of Utah—Religious Liberty—Modern So-called Civilization—Baptism for the Dead by John Taylor (284-291)
- Universality and Eternity of the Gospel by George Q. Cannon (291-302)
- Rewards According to Works—Tithing by Orson Hyde (303-312)
- Different Degrees of Reward and Punishment—Marriage for Eternity Necessary to a Fullness of Celestial Glory by Orson Pratt (312-324)
- The Sacrament of the Lord’s Supper by Joseph F. Smith (324-328)
- Latter-day Judgments by Orson Pratt (329-341)
- His Acquaintance with the Deceased—Incidents in the Latter’s Life Since he Joined the Church by Wilford Woodruff (341-347)
- Certainty of Death—By the Spirit of God the Saints Obtain the Fullness of the Blessings of the Gospel—God Will Take Care of His People by John Taylor (347-350)
- Character of the Deceased—Manifestations of the Power of God—The Saints Have no Interest Apart from the Kingdom of God—The Fear of Death by Daniel H. Wells (350-354)
- Consecration—Temporal Equality—Selfishness to be Overcome—Resurrection—Return to Jackson County—Glory of Zion by Orson Pratt (354-366)
- The Times of Our Savior Compared with the Present—Revelation—Duties of the Saints—Self to be Overcome—Coming of Christ by George Q. Cannon (366-376)