FairMormon is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing well-documented answers to criticisms of LDS doctrine, belief and practice.
Mormon Reformation/Further Reading
Thomas G. Alexander, "The Odyssey of a Latter-Day Prophet: Wilford Woodruff and the Manifesto of 1890," Journal of Mormon History 17 (1991):
FairMormon web site
|Mormon Reformation (1857) FairMormon articles on-line|
- FAIR Topical Guide: Blood atonement FAIR link
- McKay V. Jones, "'Dead Men Tell No Tales': The Blood Atonement Balance Sheet," FAIR. (Key source)
- Mike Parker, Did Brigham Young Say that He Would Kill an Adulterous Wife with a Javelin?
|Mormon Reformation (1857) links|
- Thomas G. Alexander, "Wilford Woodruff and the Mormon Reformation of 1855-57," Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought 15 (Summer 1992): 25-39. (needs URL / links)
- Russell C. McGregor, "Wild Bill Rides Again: The Tanners on the Danites," (March 1999) off-site
Analysis of an article about the Danites and Blood Atonement by Jerald and Sandra Tanner.
- B.H. Roberts, "Brigham's Blood Atonement," Compiled by Sam Katich (November 2002)
B.H. Roberts reporting of miscellaneous events from the years 1851-1857 that deal with the topic of blood atonement and the 1889 Manifesto of the Presidency and Apostles that denounce the allegations of the practice.
- Lowell M. Snow, "Blood Atonement," in Encyclopedia of Mormonism, 4 vols., edited by Daniel H. Ludlow, (New York, Macmillan Publishing, 1992), 1:131.
|Mormon Reformation (1857) printed material|
- Davis Bitton, "'I'd Rather Have Some Roasting Ears': The Peregrinations of George Armstrong Hicks," Utah Historical Quarterly 68/3 (Summer 2000): 196–222.
- Gustave O. Larson, "The Mormon Reformation," Utah Historical Quarterly 26/1 (January 1958): 44–63.
- Michael Orme, "The Causes of the Mormon Reformation of 1856-57." Tangents III (1975): 15-43.
- Bruce R. McConkie, "Blood Atonement Doctrine," in Mormon Doctrine, 2nd edition, (Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1966), 92–93. GL direct linkGL direct link
- Charles W. Penrose, Blood Atonement, As Taught by Leading Elders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Salt Lake City, 1884).
- Paul H. Peterson, "The Mormon Reformation," PhD Dissertation, Brigham Young University, 1989, 176–199.
- Paul H. Peterson, "The Mormon Reformation of 1856-1857: The Rhetoric and the Reality," Journal of Mormon History 15 (1989): 59–87.
- Howard C. Searle, "The Mormon Reformation of 1856-1857" (M.S. thesis, Brigham Young University, 1956).