FairMormon is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing well-documented answers to criticisms of the doctrine, practice, and history of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Mormonism and church leadership/Succession in the Presidency of the Church/Further Reading
FairMormon Answers Wiki Table of Contents <onlyinclude>
FairMormon Answers articles
FairMormon web site
FairMormon Topical Guide: Succession in the Presidency FairMormon link
- Maureen Ursenbach Beecher, "All Things Move in Order in the City: The Nauvoo Diary of Zina Diantha Huntington Jacobs," Brigham Young University Studies 19 no. 3 (1979), 285. PDF link
- Eugene England, "Review of George Laub’s Nauvoo Journal," Brigham Young University Studies 18 no. 2 (1978), 151. PDF link
- Ronald K. Esplin, "Joseph, Brigham and the Twelve: A Succession of Continuity," Brigham Young University Studies 21 no. 3 (1981), 301. PDF link
- Gordon B. Hinckley, "The Joseph Smith III Document and the Keys of the Kingdom," Ensign (May 1981), 20. off-site
Caution: this article was published before Mark Hofmann's forgeries were discovered. It may treat fraudulent documents as genuine. Click for list of known forged documents.
- Lynne Watkins Jorgenson, "The Mantle of the Prophet Joseph Passes to Brigham Young: A Collective Spiritual Witness," Brigham Young University Studies 36 no. 4 (1996-1997), 125–204. PDF link (Key source)
- Brent L. Top and Lawrence R. Flake, "‘The Kingdom Will Roll On’: Succession in the Presidency," Ensign (August 1996), 22–35. off-site
- Milton V. Backman, Jr., “‘The Keys are Right Here’: Succession in the Presidency,” in Susan Easton Black and Larry C. Porter, eds., Lion of the Lord: Essays on the Life and Service of Brigham Young (Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1995), 107–128. ISBN 1573451126. ISBN 978-1573451123.
- Andrew F. Ehat, "Joseph Smith's Introduction of Temple Ordinances and the 1844 Mormon Succession Question," M.A. Thesis, Brigham Young University, 1981.
- Lynne Watkins Jorgenson, "The Mantle of the Prophet Joseph Passes to Brigham Young: A Collective Spiritual Witness," in Opening the Heavens: Accounts of Divine Manifestations 1820–1844 (Documents in Latter-day Saint History), edited by John W. Welch with Erick B. Carlson, (Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University Press / Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret Book Company, 2005), 373–480. ISBN 0842526072. This book has recently been reprinted, in paperback. BYU Studies and Deseret Book (July 13, 2011)