FairMormon is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing well-documented answers to criticisms of LDS doctrine, belief and practice.
Question: What are the criticisms related to Facsimile 1?
The following claims are made regarding Facsimile 1:
- That facsimile 1 is simply a typical funerary scene and there are many other papyri showing the same basic scene.
- It is claimed that the missing portions of the drawing were incorrectly restored:
- The head of the priest should have been that of Anubis.
- The priest should not have been holding a knife.
- The portion portrayed as Abraham's second hand should have been the wing of a second bird.
- It is claimed that Abraham has never been associated with the lion couch vignette such as that portrayed in Facsimile #1 of the Book of Abraham.