FairMormon is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing well-documented answers to criticisms of LDS doctrine, belief and practice.
User:GregSmith/SSA blank template
This article is a draft. FairMormon editors are currently editing it. We welcome your suggestions on improving the content.
TEXT [needs work]
To see citations to the critical sources for these claims, click here==
TEXT [needs work]==
Text [needs work]==
FairMormon Answers articles
Jump to Subtopic:
- Ensign, "Why We Do Some of the Things We Do"
- Ensign, "Same-Gender Attraction"
- Joshua Johanson, "Navigating the Labyrinth Surrounding Homosexual Desire"
- Question: Can a person identify as gay or lesbian and still be a member of the Church in good standing?
- Question: Do Mormon teachings against homosexual acts lead to bullying of gay youth or unchristian treatment of members or non-members with same-sex attraction?
- Question: Are Mormon family members taught to reject their LGBT children, thereby forcing many of them to become homeless?
- Question: Since the Church teaches that homosexual conduct is sinful, does this mean it opposes efforts to protect those who engage in homosexual acts?
- Question: What are some of the unique challenges or difficulties faced by Mormons with same-sex attraction?
- Question: Do Mormons believe that same-sex attraction will persist in the next life?
- Question: How do Mormons view the issue of heterosexual marriage for people with same-sex attraction?
- Question: What have past and present Mormon leaders taught about why some people are attracted to the same sex?
- Question: Do Mormons believe that same-sex attraction is "inborn" or "genetic"?
- Question: Is there an "epidemic" of suicide among gay Mormons?
- Question: Why do Mormons typically refer to homosexual/gay/lesbian issues with such terms as "same-sex attraction"?
- Question: Are Mormon with same-sex attraction encouraged to be closeted or lie about their attractions?
- Question: In Mormonism, what are the ramifications from denying a gay identity?
- Question: What have Mormon leaders taught about the distinction between desires, feelings, or inclinations, and sexual acts?
- Question: Do Mormon leaders teach that people with same-sex attraction should not associate with each other?
- Question: If same-sex attraction is something that occurs naturally, why can't God and the Church accept it by allowing sealings of LGBT couples?
- Homosexual aversion therapy performed at BYU in the 1970's
FairMormon web site
|Same-sex attraction, homosexuality, and other gender issues FairMormon articles on-line|
- FAIR blog - Blog posts on homosexuality including a podcast series
|Same-sex attraction, homosexuality, and other gender issues on-line articles|
- Evergreen International - resources encouraging those with SSA to live the Church's standards of chastity
- Northstar - support group for those affected by SSA who wish to live the Church's standard of chastity
- Same sex attraction - collection of resources for those with SSA published by the Church
- Agency—Freedom to Choose - mormon.org
- Bruce C. Hafen, "Elder Bruce C. Hafen Speaks on Same-Sex Attraction," report of address given to Evergreen International annual conference, 19 September 2009.
- Bishop Keith B. McMullin, "Remarks," given at 20th annual Evergreen International conference held in Salt Lake City, 18 September 2010.
- "To The One," address given to twelve-stake fireside, Brigham Young University (5 March 1978); reprinted in Boyd K. Packer, That All May Be Edified (Bookcraft, 1982), pp. 186–200, emphasis added; italics in original. GL direct link
- Jeffrey R. Holland, "Helping Those Who Struggle with Same-Gender Attraction," Ensign (October 2007), 42-45.
- Dallin H. Oaks, "Same-Gender Attraction," Ensign (October 2007), 9.
- Dallin H. Oaks and Lance B. Wickman, "Same Gender Attraction," interview with Church Public Affairs (2006). off-site
- Gregory L. Smith, "Shattered Glass: The Traditions of Mormon Same-Sex Marriage Advocates Encounter Boyd K. Packer," Mormon Studies Review 23/1 (2011): 61–85. off-site wiki
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, "The Divine Institution of Marriage," (13 August 2008).
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, God Loveth His Children (Intellectual Reserve, 2007).
- Michael Otterson, "Church Responds to HRC Petition," (12 October 2010).
|Same-sex attraction, homosexuality, and other gender issues printed materials|