FairMormon is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing well-documented answers to criticisms of LDS doctrine, belief and practice.
Utah/Crime and violence/Parrish-Potter murders/Further Reading
Table of Contents <onlyinclude>
- Thomas G. Alexander, "Review of Blood of the Prophets: Brigham Young and the Massacre at Mountain Meadows," BYU Studies (1 January 2003) off-site
- Robert H. Briggs, "Sally Denton’s American Massacre: Authentic Mormon Past versus the Danite Interpretation of History (Review of: American Massacre: The Tragedy at Mountain Meadows, September 1857)," FARMS Review 16/1 (2004): 111–134. off-site
- Justin Butterfield, "Let the Book of the Past Be Reopened: The Latest on the Mountain Meadows Massacre]" (review of Ron Walker's May 2006 Mormon History Association presentation), Mormon Wasp blog, 1 July 2006 (accessed 3 July 2006). off-site
- Lawrence Coates, "Review of Blood of the Prophets: Brigham Young and the Massacre at Mountain Meadows," BYU Studies (1 January 2003) off-site
- Robert D. Crockett, "The Denton Debacle (Review of: American Massacre: The Tragedy at Mountain Meadows, September 1857)," FARMS Review 16/1 (2004): 135–148. off-site
- Robert D. Crockett, "A Trial Lawyer Reviews Will Bagley's Blood of the Prophets," FARMS Review 15/2 (2003): 199–254. off-site
- Eric A. Eliason, "Review of: Forgotten Kingdom: The Mormon Theocracy in the American West, 1847–1896," FARMS Review of Books 12/1 (2000): 95–112. off-site
- Craig L. Foster, "The Butler Murder of April 1869: A Look at Extralegal Punishment in Utah," Mormon Historical Studies 1/1 (Spring 200): 105–112 PDF link
|Mormon Reformation (1857) links|
- Thomas G. Alexander, "Wilford Woodruff and the Mormon Reformation of 1855-57," Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought 15 (Summer 1992): 25-39. (needs URL / links)
- Russell C. McGregor, "Wild Bill Rides Again: The Tanners on the Danites," (March 1999) off-site
Analysis of an article about the Danites and Blood Atonement by Jerald and Sandra Tanner.
- B.H. Roberts, "Brigham's Blood Atonement," Compiled by Sam Katich (November 2002)
B.H. Roberts reporting of miscellaneous events from the years 1851-1857 that deal with the topic of blood atonement and the 1889 Manifesto of the Presidency and Apostles that denounce the allegations of the practice.
- Lowell M. Snow, "Blood Atonement," in Encyclopedia of Mormonism, 4 vols., edited by Daniel H. Ludlow, (New York, Macmillan Publishing, 1992), 1:131.
- Dale L. Morgan, The State of Deseret (Logan, Utah: Utah State University Press, 1987), 7—27.
- W. Paul Reeve and Ardis E. Parshall, review of Blood of the Prophets: Brigham Young and the Massacre at Mountain Meadows, by Will Bagley, Mormon Historical Studies 4/1 (2003): 149—57.
|Mormon Reformation (1857) printed material|
- Davis Bitton, "'I'd Rather Have Some Roasting Ears': The Peregrinations of George Armstrong Hicks," Utah Historical Quarterly 68/3 (Summer 2000): 196–222.
- Gustave O. Larson, "The Mormon Reformation," Utah Historical Quarterly 26/1 (January 1958): 44–63.
- Michael Orme, "The Causes of the Mormon Reformation of 1856-57." Tangents III (1975): 15-43.
- Bruce R. McConkie, "Blood Atonement Doctrine," in Mormon Doctrine, 2nd edition, (Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1966), 92–93. GL direct linkGL direct link
- Charles W. Penrose, Blood Atonement, As Taught by Leading Elders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Salt Lake City, 1884).
- Paul H. Peterson, "The Mormon Reformation," PhD Dissertation, Brigham Young University, 1989, 176–199.
- Paul H. Peterson, "The Mormon Reformation of 1856-1857: The Rhetoric and the Reality," Journal of Mormon History 15 (1989): 59–87.
- Howard C. Searle, "The Mormon Reformation of 1856-1857" (M.S. thesis, Brigham Young University, 1956).