How does a man with same-sex attraction find the only woman in the world to whom he is attracted? In this interview, Joshua Johanson talks about his history with same-sex attraction, his experience as a BYU student and as a member of a singles ward, and introduces us to his wife, Alyssa Johanson. Alyssa shares her insights into being married to a man with same sex-attraction. Joshua and Alyssa also discuss the things that have helped make their marriage successful. As they do so, it becomes clear that their relationship is not all that different from anyone else’s.
They also discuss Proposition 8, Elder Packer’s October 2010 General Conference address, as well as the following questions:
- Does the Church recommend marriage as a therapeutic measure for someone experiencing same-sex attraction?
- What is wrong with homosexual activity (kissing, etc.) that stops short of intercourse?
- If gays can marry, why would sex in that relationship be a violation of the law of chastity?
- Did Jesus speak out against homosexuality?
- How can the Church uphold its standards while still extending love to those who experience same-sex attraction?