We had another great conference last week (it was our 20th!). This time it ran for 3 days. Some of the topics covered were lesser-known women’s stories in church history, the Gospel Topics Essays, stories of members of the church in India and Africa, the new Saints church history series coming out from the church, grace, the Book of Abraham, homosexuality, horses in the Book of Mormon, and how to help people having a faith crisis. We also had a general authority speak for the first time. Elder Kevin W. Pearson spoke about the good that FairMormon and other organizations are doing to help correct misunderstandings about the church, and that more voices are needed in the effort. Awards were given to Scott Gordon, Louis Midgley, and Michael Hickenbotham for their service, and a painting of “Mary Whitmer and Moroni” in honor of Lynne Hilton Wilson was unveiled.
Each day, one presentation was live-streamed free on Facebook, where you can still watch the recordings. You can also watch them here:
- Jenny Reeder: “Fire In My Bones”: Women’s Stories on churchhistorianspress.org
- John Gee: Selling Our Birthright for a Mess of Pottage: The Historical Authenticity of the Book of Abraham
- Elder Kevin W. Pearson: A Sacred and Imperative Duty
It’s not too late to purchase the streaming and watch the videos of the entire conference. After purchase, they will be available to view on any device with a web browser, as well as on a Roku box. You can buy it here.
We have had several articles published about the conference (this section will be updated as more appear):
- Church News: FairMormon conference sheds light on impact women have had on the Church, why it needs to be talked about
- Mormon Newsroom: Elder Pearson Says Independent Voices Are Needed to Sustain Faith
- Church News: “Your Voice Matters” on Social Media to Share Truth, Clarify Beliefs, Seventy Says
- LDS 365: Members’ Help Needed to Create Gospel Messages Online
Mike Ash, one of our volunteers who is a great photographer, has posted photos from the conference on our Facebook page.
Transcriptions of the presentations will be posted on our website after they are prepared by our volunteers.
The full conference schedule can be reviewed here.