Dallin H. Oaks. Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret Book Company, 2011. Hardbound, 6 x 9″, 160 pages.
“I have learned things that have shaped my life and teachings, including some things of the heart not previously shared,” writes Elder Dallin H. Oaks in the introduction to this unique book. “This is an autobiography of learning and application rather than a compendium of doctrine.”
Masterfully blending personal experiences with the doctrines of the gospel, Elder Oaks invites us to join him on a journey through some of the turning points in his life and the lessons he has learned through a lifetime of devotion to the Savior.
The short but potent chapters offer perceptive observations into such diverse topics as the purpose of adversity, the importance of respecting those with whom we disagree personally or politically, the merits and limitations of law, the blessings of tithing, the seeming conflict between science and religion, the Lord’s use of imperfect people to further His work, and the power of the Atonement to recover those who have fallen behind.
Elder Oaks also relates the very personal lessons he learned from the death of his wife, June, and from his subsequent marriage to Kristen McMain.
Woven throughout the book is Elder Oak’s powerful testimony of the Savior and His mission. Life’s Lessons Learned is a rare glimpse into the experiences of the heart that have shaped the life of an Apostle of God.
- PART 1. TO 1971
- “Not My Will, but Thine, Be Done”
- Temple Teachings
- The Influence of Family Histories
- Honor the Sabbath Day
- The Challenge of Indifference
- Separating Respect, Affection, and Policy
- The Law Is a Blunt Instrument
- Turning Points in Life
- Worldly Wisdom Yields to Revelation
- Preparing for Things to Come
- PART II: BRIGHAM YOUNG UNIVERSITY AND THE UTAH SUPREME COURT, 1971 TO 1984
- Science and Religion
- What Do You Want to Be Remembered For?
- Assigning Reasons to Revelation
- Goal Setting
- Personal Revelation
- PART III: GENERAL AUTHORITY, 1984 TO PRESENT
- Learned from Legal Training
- Transition to the Apostleship
- Unselfish Service
- The Meaning of “Real Intent”
- Refusing Requests
- Recognizing Revelation
- Labeling and Timing
- Tithing Blessings
- Sins and Mistakes
- Looking info the Future
- Principles versus Preferences
- Caution in Sharing Spiritual Experiences
- Death of a Spouse
- Second Marriage
- Shaking Hands at Stake Conferences
- Good Fruits from Unlikely Sources
- Testimony of Jesus Christ